If you’ve browsed Instagram aimlessly at any point in the morning over the last few months you may have stumbled across the phenomenon that is ‘cloud eggs’.
These are basically baked whipped egg whites with the yolk plopped in the middle – a somewhat extravagant and slightly laborious way to prepare an egg, but photogenically pleasing therefore attractive to food snappers globally.
Does anyone really have time for that in the morning? I certainly don’t, which is why I decided to throw together my own fluffy and fast (and sweet and fruity), totally unrelated version of cloud eggs!
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup blueberries (or a handful)
- 1 tbsp sugar (or sweetener if preferred)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- KitchenAid or alternative electric whisk (you can use a manual whisk, but it will not be quick!)
- frying pan
What to do:
- Whisk eggs and sugar until the mix is thick and fluffy (not quite as thick as meringue mix, but 2/3 as thick)
- Heat coconut oil in pan to low/med heat
- Add egg mix to the pan and flatten the mix
- Sprinkle the blueberries on top
- Cook over a low heat for 2-5 minutes, then break up and turn over
- Cook for another 2 mins, turning when necessary
- Chuck it on a plate and eat it!
Estimated macros for this meal are as follows:
Fat: 5g (if cooking in coconut oil)
Carbs: 18g (if using sugar)